When it comes to brewing coffee, a good grinder is one of the integral items to brewing a great cup of joe. A hand grinder is a great option for anyone who wants to make sure they're getting the perfect grind for their coffee, is budget sensitive, and is willing to put in the extra manual labour for good results.
Advantages of using a hand grinder
- Hand grinders have conical or flat burrs. A burr grinder ensures that each piece of coffee is only ground once before it passes into a container, ensuring uniformity on all the grinds of coffee. This leads to predictable results in extraction. Typically electric grinders of the same price range only have blades, and electric burr grinders of comparable grind quality are 2-3 times the price of as hand grinder.
- Most hand grinder have “stepless” grind adjustments. This means each level of fine-to-course grinder adjustment is not locked to a certain setting, and you can fine tune the grind size to your exact liking.
- It's much more affordable than comparable electric grinders. If you're looking to save some money, a hand grinder is a great option. They're typically more affordable than electric grinders, and they often last much longer as well due to the lack of motorized electric parts.
- It's more portable. If you like to travel or camp, a hand grinder is a great option because it's more portable than an electric grinder. You don't have to worry about finding an outlet or having access to electricity. Just pack it up and take it with you for wherever you want to go.
How to Use a Hand Grinder
- Start by unscrewing the top of the grinder to access the beans
- Pour in your desired amount of beans and screw the top back on
- Adjust the grind size by turning the knob at the base of the grinder clockwise or counterclockwise
- To grind, hold down the grinder firmly on a level surface, and turn the handle manually to grind the beans through the burr grinder
- Unscrew the container and place the ground coffee into your coffee maker of choice
Choosing the Right Grinder for Your Coffee Maker
When you are looking for the best manual coffee grinder, there are a few things that you should consider. First, you should consider what type of coffee maker you want to use – pour over or espresso? Espresso capable grinders will need to reach a finer grinder size. Second, you should think about how much coffee you want to grind at one time. Finally, you should consider the price of the grinder. All of these factors will help you find the best manual coffee grinder for your needs.
Best hand grinders for pour over coffee
Hario Mini Slim Plus
The Hario Mini Slim Plus is a great choice for those who want a quality hand grinder that is affordable. This grinder is made with ceramic burrs, which are known for their durability and precision. The grind size can be adjusted to suit your specific needs. Additionally, the compact size of this grinder makes it easy to store and transport.
Hario Skerton Pro
The Hario Skerton Pro is a great choice for those who want a high-quality, durable hand grinder. This grinder is made with ceramic burrs, which are known for their durability and precision. The grind size can be adjusted to suit your specific needs. Additionally, the large capacity of this grinder makes it ideal for those who want to grind a lot of coffee at one time.
Timemore Chestnut C2
The Timemore chestnut C2 is another great choice for those who are looking for a quality hand grinder. This grinder is made with stainless steel burrs, which are known for their durability and precision. Additionally, the grind size can be adjusted to suit your specific needs. The compact size of this grinder makes it easy to store and transport.
No matter which hand grinder you choose, you can be sure that will probably be able to make a great coffee with any of them, as long as the grinder is suitable for your preparation method and you have it set to the right grind size. Just remember to follow the simple steps outlined above and to use freshly ground coffee beans for the best results. With a little practice, you'll be an expert at using a hand grinder in no time!